The Henry Madden Library at Fresno State in partnership with the College of
Social Sciences and the Sociology Department present Nikiko Masumoto
performing *What We Could Carry.*
This one-woman show is developed and performed by Nikiko Masumoto, a Del
Rey peach farmer, public arts performer and a member of the College of Arts
and Humanities Advisory Board. Masumoto performed an excerpt of What We
Could Carry at the White House in December, as part of a panel speaking
about the future of food.
– *5:30 – 7:30 p.m. on April 5, 2017 (performance begins at 6 pm)*
– *Table Mountain Rancheria Reading Room* in the Henry Madden Library
(3rd floor, North Wing)
– This is a free public event held during normal Library hours
– Parking may be restricted. Please visit a campus parking kiosk
– RSVP on our eRsvp form
The show asks us to consider how and what memory we carry about Japanese
American experiences before, during and after Internment and World War II.
Based almost entirely on the testimony of individuals from the Los Angeles
hearings of the 1981 Commission on Wartime Relocation and Internment of
Civilians, Masumoto performs 13 individuals’ testimony (in addition to her
own) about internment and the weight of these memories.
The event is co-sponsored by the sociology department and the College of
Social Sciences as part of their Lived Experiences, Social Justice and
Social Science speaker series.
The Madden Library is co-sponsoring this event as part of 9066: Japanese
American Voices from the Inside, a series of exhibitions and events
commemorating the 75th anniversary of the World War II incarceration of
Japanese Americans with a focus on those from the San Joaquin Valley.
For more information or assistance with physical accommodations, contact
Sharon Ramirez at 559.278.5790 or email@example.com.
– Madden Library Facebook Event page: www.tinyurl.com/NikikoM
– Madden Library Facebook page: @HenryMaddenLibrary
– Madden Library Twitter
– Social Sciences Facebook page:
– Social Sciences: www.fresnostate.edu/socialsciences
– Nikiko Masumoto Blog: whatwecouldcarry.wordpress.com